Self-Love on Valentine’s Day

Azalea LeiLani, Newspaper Journalist

For all the single people, we all know what it’s like being single on a day when everyone celebrates with their boyfriends or girlfriends, etc.  It can feel a little lonely but do not fret.  I am well experienced at being single and I know exactly what you need to do.  Show yourself some needed self-love.  I believe that in order to even love someone else, you have to learn to love yourself first.  So I have compiled some ways you can show yourself love.

Begin Tuning into Yourself:  By this I mean, allow yourself to feel whatever emotions you are having at the moment and do what you need to release what you are feeling.

Know That We All Make Mistakes:  Don’t beat yourself up about the things you did.  It will make you hate yourself and that is not good at all.  Know that as humans, we all make mistakes and that’s okay because we can then learn from those mistakes.

Surround Yourself with Beautiful Things:  Being around beautiful things will lift up your spirits.  Create a cozy place for yourself in your room that is also aesthetically pleasing to you.

Treat Yourself:  Buy some flowers and sign them to you.  Buy some really good chocolates and indulge.  Reward yourself for all that you have accomplished.

Write a love letter:  Jot down all the things you love about yourself and open it on Valentine’s Day.

Have a relaxing night:  However you choose to relax, just dive into it.  I find peace when I take a nice bath, do a face mask, and listen to really great music.  Do whatever you do when you want to unwind.  Watch some movies on Netflix or bake some cupcakes.

These are just a few ideas I had that you can try.  A common misconception with self- love is that it is selfish, but it’s not at all.  Putting yourself first should always be a top priority in everyone’s life.  But however you choose to spend your Valentine’s Day, I hope it is full of love and chocolate!