Times Up

Azalea LeiLani, Newspaper Journalist

On January 1, 2018, a powerful movement began.  It stands on the grounds of solidarity with all those who have been discriminated against, treated unequally, or have been a victim of sexual assault or sexual harassment.  Over 300 women wrote a letter titled ‘Dear Sisters’ describing the root of this movement.  The Golden Globes was taken over by support of the movement.  On January 7th, the hashtag #WHYWEWEARBLACK started and those standing in solidarity wore black.  Many people wore black to the Golden Globes.  Actresses, like Emma Watson, brought female activists as their dates to the globes.  Strong women were not kept by silence during the awards.  Before presenting the award for best director, Natalie Portman said, “Here are the all-male nominees”, due to the lack of female directors being nominated.  This movement is as powerful as the women behind it.  The inequality that women face has to stop.  It will not be pushed to the side.  “Time’s Up” has broken the silence of many.  I stand firmly with this movement for it has a close and personal pace in my heart.  If you go to the website, you will find the letter, the purpose of the movement, facts, and more.  You can donate to the legal fund or shop for featured products.  Learn more at timesupnow.com.