Mr. Wolfe Interview

Azalea LeiLani, Newspaper Journalist

Walking around the big red barn, the first thing that caught my eye was the alignment of several upon several small engines awards and a “NO WHINING” sign.   Before the interview began, Mr. Wolfe was sitting at his desk helping multiple students understand the concept he was teaching.  When asked the first question of, “How is your day today?”, and his seemingly sarcastic response of, “Excellent.  Best day of my life.”, took me by surprise.  Moving on to the next question, we talked about how small engines came about at Beyer.  The story starts in 2003 when, at the time, Mr. Wolfe was an AG mechanics teacher for three different Modesto City Schools.  He had conflicting thoughts on whether or not to continue teaching but he soon found that the answer led Mr. Wolfe down a new path.  He started to write a course for small engines.  Yes, he is the very reason Beyer High School has a small engines team.  The small engines course has been around for thirteen years and is composed of those who want to be awesome.  Their main motto is, “We don’t play for 2nd place.”  Since 2009, they have not placed lower than 2nd.  This team works as hard as they can and gives it everything they have.  Small engines are such an elite status team; only the top three members of that year are awarded a jacket and t shirt for their accomplishments, as seen in the photo.  It’s the same concept with trophies, you don’t buy them, you earn them.

Getting into the deeper questions, I dove into something I felt was very important to get a genuine answer from.  “Like most students feel, some teachers give off the feeling like they aren’t happy doing their jobs, would you say you enjoy your job?”  Mr. Wolfe smiled and gave a straight forward answer, “If I wasn’t happy, I would be here.”  He loves his job and one main reason is because of the students.  Then Wolfe looked around and asked me, “Can I show you something?”  He walked over to the other room and grabbed a binder with the quote, “Enthusiasm is contagious!  Presentation is everything!”, on the front cover.  Wolfe goes on to say, “Success is not defined by how much money you make, it’s defined by the degree of happiness you possess so if you are not happy fix the problem.”  The encouragement that Mr. Wolfe gives to his students is something all teachers should be striving to do.  “You could be better or you could be better.  “You’ve got to get to the students that want and need your help.  It all starts with a conversation.”